CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 6, 2008

Visiting the Menonites

On Memorial Day(I know... that was a long time ago, I should have been posting),
we went with our friends to their land near the Buffalo Rv. and spent the day with them. We played in the creeks, and went to visit the Menonites. They also have caves on their land.

While my pictures are uploading(very slowly), I'll tell you what I know about Menonites. The true Menonites don't use any electricity, and don't have cars. The kids go to a school in their community, and they have to marry within their community. I think when they are 18, they are given the choice to either stay with the Menonites, or go live normally. There are some Menonites who use electricity, and have cars, but still live the lifestyle. They are called plain. They can't be a member of the Menonite church if they are plain. Girls wear dresses, and I guess they're called bonnetts on their head. Boys usually wear a white shirt and pants. I don't have pictures of the people because you're not allowed to take pictures of them. The kids are always out working, and picking the garden. Most of them have shops at their houses that anyone can come to and buy homemade jellies, candles, furniture, bread, and lots of other things. It is really neat to see them and how they live, but I couldn't live like that!

Here are some pictures I took there...

Photobucket


Photobucket
Yes, we drove across that bridge! I was so scared. They were building a new bridge though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's some of their horses.

Photobucket

A guy rode up on his horse and went in a little outhouse, so I snapped a pic of his horse.

3 comments:

sourpatch said...

Nice picture!! I especially like the one with the bike in it.

Your header hasn't been showing up for a while, and your 2nd pic isn't either.

sourpatch

sourpatch said...

I'm sorry, the header is showing up. But the picture still isn't.

Thanks,

sourpatch

Brooklyn said...

Is it working now? Everything has been showing up on my computer, but when I look at it on my grandmaw's, it doesn't. So, I never know if it's not working. Thanks for letting me know!